The revival of a classic Polish design, a 1950’s bookcase designed by Prof. Rajmund Teofil Hałas, the Head of the Industrial Design Faculty at the State University of Arts (PWSSP) in Poznań. A simple and functional piece of furniture whose assembly only takes several minutes, without the need for any tools. Design protected by a European patent.
Registration of the pattern of protection against protection in all countries of the European Union
Visual artist, architect, furniture designer. He was born in Krobia in Wielkopolska to a family with a long tradition in carpentry, which was started by his great-grandfather Jakub Węcławski in the mid-19th century. His workshop was taken over by his son-in-law Franciszek Hałas, who taught his son Teofil the trade. The latter built a furniture factory in 1922. Family tradition was continued by Teofil's sons - Zygmunt and Rajmund Teofil, who after studying in the Gymnasium of Carpentry and Sculpture in Cieplice Zdroj received a diploma of master carpenter. In 1951, Rajmund T. Halas began studies in the State College of Fine Arts (PWSSP) in Poznan at the Faculty of Interior Design, crowned with a diploma under the direction of Professor Jerzy Staniszkis. After graduation he worked in the furniture industry, managing the Furniture Design Studio which worked for the whole industry. At that time he designed, among other things, THE SLIDE OF VARIABLE HEIGHTS (1959) and a group of chairs: RED - WHITE - BLACK (1957-62). In 1960 he founded the Koło group together with Czesław Kowalski (the author of MEBLOŚCIANKA KOWALSKICH), Leonard Kuczma and Janusz Różański. The group initiated efforts to organize the Furniture Biennial in Poznan. After less than twenty years (1978), the Organizing Committee of the 1st International Furniture Triennial was established. In 1964, he went on a scholarship to the Helsinki Institute of Industrial Arts, and a year later to Great Britain. There he came into contact with such renowned artists as Alvar Aalto and Gordon Russell. After returning to Poland, his travels to the West resulted in establishing the Chair of Industrial Design at the Academy of Fine Arts in Poznań in 1971, where he headed the Inspirational Design Studio. Until the end of his extremely active life, he was associated with the Poznań school. On his professorial retirement, he was a consultant at the Chair of Design and lectured at the Faculty of Architecture and Design on the history of architecture and design. On the initiative of Marek Halas, nephew of the professor, in the buildings of the former furniture factory of his grandfather Teofil in Krobi, the Museum of Carpentry and Bishops' Craft was established under the patronage of Rajmund Teofil Halas.